2015 was a year of beginnings and adventure for Ayr Burners. Dark nights and wet weekends have meant that the start of 2016 has seen a bit of a rest from the pedaling, but not the dreaming and scheming.
In just two weekends (Jan 24th) we play host to our first open cyclocross event, the Doonbank Trofee and it is going to be huge! The adult races are fully sold out, we have youth races all morning and visits from Blair Brown Rallying, the Active Travel Hub Ayr and a mini ‘Sparks’ race track for the kids.
We have now published the Rider Information Pack that you can find here.
ACTIVE TRAVEL HUB AYR Series
Following soon after we have the first of our eight events we are delivering beside the Active Travel Hub Ayr, including:
- February 20th: Ayrshire Cycle Jumble, Prestwick Community Centre
- March 6th: Sea Ayr Cycles ‘Burns and Bridges’ Family Ride, Citadel Leisure Centre, Ayr
- April 23rd: ‘Sparks’ Balance Bike Games, Citadel Leisure Centre, Ayr
- May 8th: Family Cycling Treasure Hunt, Rozelle Park, Ayr
- May 14th: 2hr, 20mile introductory group ride, Burns Centre, Ayr
- May 29th: ‘Sparks’ Balance Bike Games, Belleisle Park, Ayr
- June 12th: Sea Ayr Cycles ‘Surf and Turf’ Family Ride, Troon Railway Station
- June 19th: 2hr, 20 mile introductory group ride, Burns Centre, Ayr
All of these events are completely free with trained leaders and instructors present.
Ayrshire Alps Friendly Sportives
Back for 2016 is our social challenge ride – the Ayrshire Alps Friendly. Building on the success of 2015, where we had nearly 100 local and visiting cyclists taking on a reliability trial, we are running these events as Sportives in 2016. The main ingredients will stay the same, social atmosphere, great 100km and 60km routes with the key climbs etc. This year the rides will feature additional marshals and fuelling stop mid route on both 60km and 100km rides.
The event is booked to leave from the McCosh Hall in Kirkmichael on Sunday 28th August. Registration is now open via British Cycling.
Entry fee for 2016 will remain low at £10, with the promise that any event profit will be used to continue to develop the Ayrshire Alps Cycle Park Project
TRANS-ALP ODYSSEY – ADVENTURE CROSS
We’ve enjoyed some fantastic off-road adventures in the trails criss-crossing the Ayrshire Alps and have identified a potential route for an 80km Adventure Cross ride that we would like to run in 2016. Details are still being worked on just now, but we are considering a small pilot event in May/June. More to follow…
As always, keep an eye on our events pages to see what else we have coming up!